Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My dear neighbours... (Part 1)

The month of June is just round the corner. I have plans to visit my childhood neighbourhood at Geylang Bahru because that was where I got my first guitar- it was a cheap classical unit, a present from my mum who laboured for that $30 to reward me for my efforts in the exams. I love you mum. Always...

However, the mere mention of Geylang Bahru would never fail to invoke the memory of my neighbours. We lived at Blk 58, an apartment made up of 1-room rental units. One fateful morning in 1979, my neighbours (the 4 kids you see above) were hacked to death & their bodies piled up in the toilet. This crime remained unsolved till this day.

Two days ago, I dreamt of playing with them like we used to back then- Snake & Ladders, while my mum fed us plain rice laced with soya sauce & fried egg in the mix, nevermind if we were not of the same race. We were like family.

My slain neighbours- RIP.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment