Sunday, May 8, 2011

Schecter: Omen 6... mine

This is a reiteration that I don't dismiss the budget guitars out there. I own a few of them, I will continue to keep a look out for these gems.

As clearly stated on the truss rod cover; it's an OMEN 6, one of the most affordable model offered by the manufacturer.

This is how it is at the rear, one of the reasons why the OMEN 6 goes for a very affordable asking price is that it's a bolt-on make. The heel there is angled to promote upper fret reaches but the bulk is just a put-off if you wish to rest your thumb there. Not saying this guitar has poor upper fret access but it's a fair offering, definitely.

The body's top surface features sumptuous beveling to such an extent it manifests a curved-top feel.

I don't fancy the default humbuckers so they were replaced by the above Tesla pickups:
  • Neck: Opus 2
  • Bridge: VR-Nitro
These darlings brought much life to tone. Due to the lacquer-free body, the Omen 6 gives off a bright default acoustic tones. This, in my opinion, would provide the perfect snap for a single coil pickup so the Opus 2 option was rather clear. I require a crisp sounding Tesla in the bridge which has a tamed midrange emphasis- just a little bit, not a grand truncation- so I chose the covered version of the VR-Nitro. This is a happy combo for me. I bought this guitar more than a week ago, still fiddling with the pickups height.

No comments:

Post a Comment